Monday, April 30, 2012

AFFIRMATIONS WORK IF YOU WORK THEM

I wasn't convinced that affirmations could impact my life.  When my doctor, noting my low self-esteem, suggested I look in the mirror every day and say, "I love you," I was reluctant.  Then, I gave it a try.  I couldn't even look into my own eyes and say the words.  That was disturbing, yet I continued to make the effort.  In time, I could look at myself and say, "I love you," and so I thought I was done.

Years later!  Years!  How sad that I put off getting the help I needed to become the happy, healthy person I am today.  If I had understood that my deep-rooted issues could be uprooted and discarded, that I could grow a better Kozie, I would certainly have had a different attitude.  Oh, well, thank God it is never too late to find healing.  Affirmations work, if you work them!

I spiraled down because of codependency until I was lost.  Sick and tired of being sick and tired, as they say,I participated in therapy that was painful.  I became a member of Al Anon and Adult Children of Alcoholics.  I wrote affirmations on paper and taped them to my bathroom mirror, reading them aloud as I looked in that mirror.  Everyday.

One day, I heard myself say, "You're terrific!  You're terrific!"  Honestly, it scared me for a moment.  I was embarrassed, even though I was alone, even to have had the thought.  Then I remembered it was an affirmation I had been given by others in my codependency group and had been repeating for weeks.  I am terrific.  I am.

I AM LOVING TO MYSELF AND OTHERS.  


I HAVE ENOUGH; I DO ENOUGH; I AM ENOUGH.


I USED TO EAT FOR 100 REASONS, BUT TODAY I FUEL MY BODY FOR ENERGY AND WELL-BEING.


GOD IS ALL I NEED.  I AM HERE TO BRING LOVE AND HEALING TO OTHERS.

No comments:

Post a Comment